has a story.
This is ours.
It all began on April 5, 1895 at the University of Arkansas. Four young women, with the help of a local dentist, established the secrets and symbolism that today bind over 260,000 women. This small band of women founded Chi Omega after realizing a need for an organization that would foster both friendship and respect for the potential and inherent value of women. By 1910, our Fraternity had expanded into every part of the continental United States. Within 15 years, Chi Omega chapters spanned the country – from Maine to California, Oregon to Florida, Texas to Illinois. Whenever a new chapter was installed, members in other chapters wore Chi Omega’s colors beneath their pins and sent letters of welcome and congratulations.
Here at Mercer University, Psi Gamma strives to make our five founders proud. The Psi Gamma Chapter of Chi Omega has a long and proud history on Mercer University's campus. Our chapter received its charter from Chi Omega National Headquarters on December 18, 1943. It was installed by Helen Gordon and had a Charter Class of 25 members. Psi Gamma has shown its continued appreciation to Mercer University through the contribution of many symbolic gifts, such as an engraved silver punch bowl in 1968, an engraved stone in 1993 commemorating 50 years on Mercer's campus, and an engraved bench commemorating 75 years on Mercer's Campus. We love deeply and laugh always. Psi Gamma doesn't want perfection, we want real.
“To live constantly above snobbery of word or deed; to place scholarship before social obligations and character before appearances; to be in the best sense, democratic rather than “exclusive”, and lovable rather than “popular”; to work earnestly, to speak kindly, to act sincerely, to choose thoughtfully that course which occasion and conscience demand; to be womanly always; to be discouraged never; in a word, to be loyal under any and all circumstances to my Fraternity and her highest teachings and to have her welfare ever at heart that she may be a symphony of high purpose and helpfulness in which there is no discordant note.”